The Rolex Submariner is a luxury diving watch that was first introduced in 1953 and has since become one of the most recognizable and popular watches in the world. The Submariner features a waterproof case and rotating bezel, making it suitable for diving. It also has a distinctive design and is made with high-quality materials, making it a popular choice among watch enthusiasts.
The Rolex Submariner is a luxury diving watch that features a number of notable characteristics. Some of the key features of the Submariner include:
- Waterproof Case: The watch is designed to be water resistant up to 300 meters (1000 feet), making it suitable for diving and other water sports.
- Rotating Bezel: The Submariner features a unidirectional rotating bezel that helps divers to track their remaining dive time.
- Automatic Movement: The watch is powered by a self-winding mechanical movement, which means it does not require a battery.
- Luminous Hands and Markers: The watch features luminescent hands and markers, making it easy to read in low light conditions.
- Durable Construction: The Submariner is made with high-quality materials, such as stainless steel, and is built to withstand the rigors of everyday wear and tear.
- Distinctive Design: The Submariner has a timeless and iconic design, with the watch face and bezel featuring the iconic Mercedes-Benz hour hand.
- The latest Submariner model also comes with a Cerachrom bezel insert, which is a corrosion-resistant ceramic material, and a new-generation caliber 3235 movement.
The Submariner is available in a variety of styles. The main differences between the styles are the materials used for the case and bracelet, as well as the colors of the dial and bezel.
- Stainless Steel: The most common style of Submariner is made from stainless steel and features a black dial and bezel.
- Yellow Gold: The Submariner is also available in a yellow gold version, which features a gold case and bracelet, and a black dial and bezel.
- White Gold: The Submariner is available in a white gold version, which features a white gold case and bracelet, and a blue dial and bezel.
- Two-Tone: The Submariner is also available in a two-tone version, which features a stainless steel case and bracelet with gold accents.
- Rolesium: The Submariner is available in a Rolesium version, which features a stainless steel case and bracelet with platinum bezel.
- Green dial: The Submariner is available in a green dial version. This is a popular version due to its unique and distinctive look.
NOTE – There are limited edition Submariner models that feature unique colors and materials, such as the Submariner “Hulk” with green dial, bezel, and strap or the Submariner “Kermit” with green dial and bezel.
Submariner Reference Numbers
Rolex uses reference numbers to identify and track the different versions of the Submariner. The reference number is typically found on the case back of the watch and can be used to determine the specific model and year of production of a Submariner. Here are some examples of reference numbers for the Submariner:
- 114060: This is the reference number for the current no-date Submariner in stainless steel.
- 116610LV: This is the reference number for the current Submariner in stainless steel with a green bezel and dial, also known as “The Hulk”
- 116610LN: This is the reference number for the current Submariner in stainless steel with a black bezel and dial, also known as “The Kermit”
- 116618: This is the reference number for the current Submariner in 18k yellow gold with a black bezel and dial
- 116619: This is the reference number for the current Submariner in 18k white gold with a blue bezel and dial
- 1680: This is the reference number for a vintage Submariner in stainless steel, which was produced from the late 1960s to the late 1970s and featured a date display.
- 5513: This is the reference number for a vintage Submariner in stainless steel, which was produced from the late 1950s to the late 1980s and did not feature a date display.
NOTE – Reference numbers can change over time as Rolex updates their models, and also reference numbers can vary by country.
Submariner Serial Numbers
Rolex uses serial numbers to track the production of their watches. The serial number is typically found on the case back of the watch and can be used to determine the approximate date of production of a Submariner. The serial numbers on Rolex watches are often a series of letters and numbers and are unique to each watch.
The serial number can be used to determine the approximate date of production of a Submariner. However, it’s worth noting that the serial numbers are not always in chronological order, and there are some gaps in the serial number sequence.
- The serial numbers that begin with “A” or “B” were produced in the late 1980s.
- The serial numbers that begin with “C” or “D” were produced in the 1990s.
- The serial numbers that begin with “E” or “F” were produced in the early 2000s.
- The serial numbers that begin with “G” or “H” were produced in the mid-2000s.
- The serial numbers that begin with “L” or “M” were produced in the late 2000s.
- The serial numbers that begin with “N” or “P” were produced in the 2010s.
NOTE – Rolex changed the serial number system over the years, and this system may not be accurate for all Submariner models. It is always recommended to check the serial number with an official Rolex dealer or a reputable watchmaker to confirm the production date of a Submariner.
Price of a New Submariner
The price of a new Rolex Submariner can vary depending on the specific model and materials used. The price of a new Rolex Submariner in stainless steel with a black dial and bezel typically starts around $8,000 and can go up to $12,000 or more, depending on the specific reference number and any additional features.
The price of a new Submariner in yellow gold or white gold is typically higher, starting around $20,000 and can go up to $30,000 or more.
NOTE – Prices for Rolex watches can fluctuate due to market conditions, the rarity of certain models, and the exchange rate. It’s always best to check with an authorized Rolex dealer for the most up-to-date pricing information.
NOTE – Rolex watches are highly desirable and often have a waiting list, and prices on the secondary market can be higher than the official retail price.
Price of a Pre-Owned Submariner
The price of a pre-owned Rolex Submariner can vary depending on the specific model, age, and condition of the watch. The price of a pre-owned Rolex Submariner in stainless steel can range from around $5,000 to $10,000 or more for a well-maintained example of a recent production model. However, prices can be higher for older models or those in rarer configurations.
The price of a pre-owned Submariner in yellow gold or white gold is typically higher, starting around $15,000 and can go up to $25,000 or more.
NOTE – Rolex watches are highly desirable and often hold their value well, so pre-owned Rolex watches can be a good investment if you’re looking for a luxury watch that will appreciate in value over time.
How to Buy a Used Submariner
When buying a used Rolex Submariner, there are a few important things to consider to ensure that you are getting a genuine watch and that you are getting a good deal. Here are some tips to help you buy a used Rolex Submariner:
- Research: Before making a purchase, it’s important to do your research and become familiar with the different models and reference numbers of the Rolex Submariner. This will help you identify a genuine watch and also help you understand the market value of the watch.
- Check the authenticity: Make sure the watch is authentic by checking for the Rolex hologram on the watch’s caseback and the serial number engraved on the watch. It’s important to note that Rolex watches never have the serial number engraved on the outside of the watch case or bracelet.
- Check the condition: Carefully examine the watch for any signs of wear or damage. Check the dial, hands, bezel, case, and bracelet for any scratches, dings, or other imperfections.
- Get an appraisal: Have the watch appraised by a reputable watch dealer or appraiser to determine the authenticity and value of the watch.
- Buy from a reputable dealer: It’s best to buy a used Rolex Submariner from a reputable dealer who specializes in luxury watches. This will give you peace of mind knowing that you are getting a genuine watch and that you are protected by the dealer’s return policy.
- Be prepared to pay a premium: The prices of pre-owned Rolex watches are often higher than new watches, so be prepared to pay a premium for a used Submariner.
- By following these tips, you can be sure that you are getting a genuine, high-quality watch at a fair price.
Best Place to Buy a Used Submariner
There are several places where you can buy a used Rolex Submariner, but some are more reputable and reliable than others. Here are a few options to consider:
- Authorized Rolex dealers: Some authorized Rolex dealers carry a selection of pre-owned watches, including the Submariner. These watches have been inspected and certified by Rolex, so you can be sure they are authentic and in good working condition.
- Reputable watch dealers: There are many reputable watch dealers who specialize in luxury watches, including pre-owned Rolex Submariners. Look for dealers with a good reputation, positive customer reviews, and a good return policy.
- Online marketplaces: Online marketplaces like eBay are a good place to look for used Submariners. Be sure to research the seller and check their feedback rating before making a purchase.
- Auction houses: Some auction houses specialize in luxury watches and offer pre-owned Rolex Submariners for sale. Be sure to research the watch and the seller before making a bid.
- Private sellers: You can also find used Submariners for sale from private sellers. However, it’s important to be extra cautious when buying from a private seller, as it can be difficult to verify the authenticity and condition of the watch.
Regardless of where you buy a used Submariner, it’s important to do your research and make sure you are getting a genuine watch at a fair price. It is also a good idea to have the watch inspected by a qualified watch maker or appraiser before finalizing the purchase.
Be assured that when you purchase a Rolex Submariner from Jonathan’s Fine Jewelers you will be getting the best value, price, and pre-loved watch anywhere!
ANNOUNCEMENT – Stay tuned for an important announcement about our exclusive Certified Pre-Owned Luxury Watch Program! We can’t wait to give you details to boost your confidence even higher when you purchase a luxury watch from Jonathan’s Fine Jewelers.
NOTE – All images are of watches that are currently available! Please contact us to reserve your fave today!