[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Due to the holiday season, which has been a very busy time for us, I feel as if I have gotten off topic of the 4 C’s, and have left out one very important factor that needs to be addressed, diamond clarity. Diamond clarity is the most technical of all the 4 C’s when it comes to grading a diamond.
I believe that there is a ton of information out there from the GIA that is all very technical but can also be very difficult to understand, so we have broken it down into easy to understand pieces for the average lay person. First, we call the 4 C’s Diamond DNA. Why? Because each diamond, just like a person has it’s own DNA or qualities that make it unique.
Diamonds have certain characteristics. They have personality and color as well as shape and weight. But, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, no two diamonds are alike. You can buy a matched pair of diamonds, but what actually tells you which diamond is which is the clarity of the diamond.
What is diamond clarity?
Diamond clarity, in simple terms, is the birthmarks that the diamonds have on the inside and/or the outside of the stone. They come in many shapes and sizes and are caused by various imperfections that are both natural and can also be caused by a diamond cutter.
Here is what you need to know about diamond clarity
- Only flawless diamonds will have no internal or external birthmarks. Because of this, the cost of these stones is much higher than stones that do have birthmarks. These stones are also not as common and harder to find.
- When it comes to diamond clarity if you can’t see the birthmark with your naked eye, then it doesn’t matter if it exists. Most inclusions or marks can only be seen through a high-powered loupe and not with the naked eye. This means that NO ONE will know that they exist but you and your jeweler. This also means the price of your diamond is more reasonable because it does have these freckles and birthmarks to distinguish it.
- If you can see the birthmarks with your naked eye then rethink the diamond. This does not mean that the diamond isn’t worth buying. It could be that the pimples on this particular diamond may be able to be covered up by the prongs, but if not, and you can see them or feel them and it bothers YOU then this is not the right diamond for you.
- Diamond clarity is graded by the GIA. The grading is complex and is listed by letters and numbers. Instead of going into the specifics here, you can go to their site and see all of there!
- Diamond clarity is not about eye beauty. This is one of the only 4 C’s that is actually not about the beauty of the diamond, but about the character of the diamond. Freckles, birthmarks, scars….character, diamond DNA.
Diamond Clarity in a Nutshell
In a nutshell, this is what you really need to know about diamond clarity. Flawless diamonds are rare and expensive and have no birthmarks in them. If you can’t see the birthmark with your naked eye then why worry about it and if you can then rethink buying it unless it can be hidden with the setting.
Buying a diamond doesn’t have to be a complex process. Yes, research is crucial, but you can really confuse yourself with all the information presented out there. We just want to make your buying process easier.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]