Most people think of custom jewelry and think about engagement rings or wedding bands, but custom jewelry can span from everything to bracelets, necklaces, earrings, and any kind of ring you can think of. In fact, custom can even be applied to the dial of a Rolex! Custom jewelry at Jonathan’s Fine Jewelers is an experience that we encourage you to try, so we are going to tell you what you need to know and when you are ready, contact us for an appointment.
Let us start with this…most traditional jewelry stores might be able to customize some jewelry out of their case, but custom jewelry is a whole different animal. To create custom jewelry, the jeweler needs to have the ability to design the piece based on your specifications in a CAD program, have a bench jeweler that is the highest quality to fabricate the piece, and that bench jeweler needs to be a master stone setter.
FYI – Jonathan’s Fine Jewelers can do all the above.
Why Custom Jewelry?
- The design is entirely up to your own imagination. If you can dream it up, it can probably be designed!
- It’s unique to you and no one else will have it.
- It’s a great way to express and capture your style.
- It will be timeless and never go out of style because it is one of a kind.
Types of Custom Jewelry That Can Be Made
The options are endless! Any piece you can dream of – no matter how intricate the design may be – can be created with the right jeweler. Here are some of the options you have with custom jewelry design:
- Redesign a piece of jewelry you don’t wear anymore into something new and exciting.
- Turn a family heirloom into a new piece full of special meaning
- Create an engagement ring
- Turn an earring whose pair you lost into a pendant or charm
- Design unique wedding bands for you and your loved one
- Make a special pair of earrings featuring your children’s birthstones
- Create a bracelet inspired by your favorite song, book, or movie
Know Before You Go
There are a couple of steps you should take to know before you set up the first appointment.
- Research jewelry designs and custom jewelers. Look at settings, designs, different stone options, and think about the gold color you would like. Start a file with pictures and/or sketches that you can show the jeweler. Also, when you do start to look for Jewelers, go to their websites, where you can usually see images of different pieces they have designed. For instance, every single image on the Jonathan’s Fine Jewelers website are pieces that we have designed.
- Budget. It’s important to note that custom CAN be more expensive, so be sure you have a budget in mind. While you are researching, look at the cost of designs you like, and then think about whether you want precious stones or semi-precious stones, do you want 14K or 18K or even platinum, are you remaking a piece that has the stones and the metal can be melted down and reused? The budget you set can affect what you want, because the more intricate the design and the more stones you need, the more it will cost.
Your Appointment for Your Custom Piece
It’s finally time to meet the jeweler that is going to be collaborating with you to design your custom piece. Now what? Share your sketches and pictures with your jeweler and your vision and budget. Ask them if they have any ideas on how it can be made better and if they can make what you want within your budget. Remember, there may be changes that will need to be made, so keep an open mind when speaking to the jeweler.
The jeweler should be able to take your design and ideas and improve on them to make a piece that you will love and will last a lifetime. After the design has been set, you will need to approve the concept and then the bench jeweler goes to work! If it’s a wax mold, you might be asked to come by to try it on if it’s a ring, or just to see it to ensure that it’s what you were thinking. After the wax mold, the fabrication begins.
When Will Your Custom Piece Be Ready?
This is not an easy question to answer, begins it depends on how intricate the design is, are the stones readily available, how busy the jeweler is you chose, but you can count on anywhere from 5 days to 3 weeks. Again, there are many variables here, so don’t hold any jeweler to that. Just remember that patience is a virtue and having something that is all you is worth the wait!
Designing Custom Jewelry at Jonathan’s Fine Jewelers
Jonathan’s Fine Jewelers specializes in all things custom. We are sticklers for the best quality and the best product in Houston. We encourage you to check out our reviews to give you an idea of our satisfied customers. Please contact us to set up an appointment or call and ask for Sergio, we promise to provide you with an amazing and stress-free experience!