We are a culture of now. We want to buy things now; we all carry phones so we can get emails now, phone calls now and text messages now. There are fast food restaurants to satisfy every craving now and we can walk every 100 feet into a Starbucks for our caffeine fix now. We want to lose weight and we can take a pill or get the fat sucked out now. Whatever you need, want or desire can be taken care of now in today’s society, including marriage and divorce.
So why is it that when we are an engaged couple, we forget about what needs to be done now and we put it off for later so we can do everything else now? We forget about the relationship in lieu of the wedding plans and we forget about the person that we are going to marry for all the things that need to be done now.
The ties that bind two people together are fragile, and they can break one by one without either person even realizing it, so before they start to snap off, here are some tips on things you can for as an engaged couple and for yourself to keep things on the right track so you don’t end up divorced or back in my office selling your ring to me, right now!
20 Things To Do As An Engaged Couple NOW
- Sing in the shower…together. Did you know that it is a fact that you sound better when you sing in the shower because of the acoustics of the tile or marble? So, start to harmonize together and sing!
- Treat each other the way you want to be treated. This is a key component to any relationship, whether is between an engaged couple, two friends or a dog and it’s owner.
- Watch the sunrise together, as often as possible – while you can – before you have kids – that take over your life and world!
- Never refuse chocolate, sweets or dessert, especially if they are offered in bed.
- Strive for excellence, not perfection and don’t expect perfection from your fiancé but hope for excellence.
- Plant trees every year and flowers every spring.
- Tell clean jokes in public and dirty jokes in the bedroom.
- When you drive your fiancés car, return it with the gas tank half full! Never leave them when the first thing they have to do is go to the gas station.
- Never waste an opportunity to tell each other that you love each other, and look each other in the eye when you say it.
- Leave everything a little bit better and a little bit neater than you found it!
- Keep it simple. The simpler it is the better off you will be.
- Keep big thoughts together as an engaged couple but relish the small pleasures, like those everyday pleasures.
- Be forgiving to yourself and each other for those mistakes that you will definitely make.
- Say please and thank you a lot to each other.
- Remember each other’s birthdays!
- Don’t be afraid to say to each other, “I made a mistake,” “I don’t know” and “I’m sorry”.
- Count your blessings as an engaged couple every day because you will soon count them as a married couple every day too.
- Make new friends together as a couple, but keep the old friends.
- Never underestimate the power of loving each other.
- Live your life always as an exclamation of your love for your each other and never as an explanation of each other.