For some reason, the song, Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend, has been stuck in my brain…playing on repeat. It could be because I am surrounded by diamonds every day, or that I am just now thinking of what a diamond means to a woman. But, for the sake of having a little fun, let’s dive into why diamonds are a girl’s best friend.
The History of the Song Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend
The song Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend was originated on Broadway by Carol Channing in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. This was long before it was made even more famous by Marilyn Monroe in the movie. There is also a recorded version of the son by Jo Stafford, that came out three years before Ms. Monroe sang it in the movie.
In the musical, Carol Channing plays Lorelie Lee, and she is a sympathetic character, but her boyfriend’s father thinks she is only dating him for his money. Eventually, it all works out, as it is a musical comedy, and the father realizes that Lorelei Lee is not after the money, but truly loves the son and consents to them getting married.
The song has been sung by many people since it originally came out but remains a song that we remember Marilyn singing.
Why are Diamonds a Girl’s Best Friend?
As Carol and Marilyn, and many others have sung…
A kiss on the hand
May be quite continental
But diamonds are a girl’s best friend
- They are indestructible and last forever. In the song, it mentions that men and money come and go, but diamonds are here for life. They are the hardest natural substance in the world and on the MOHS scale, they are 50 times harder than any other substance.
- They are old, but never die. Diamonds come from the earth and are billions of years old. In fact, when you go to buy a diamond, vary rarely are you getting a ‘new’ diamond. Think about that. They might have been recut, or polished, but at one point in time, they were buried in the earth and had to form over time to become what they are today.
- Quality control. This is an important one because there is no such thing in a relationship. Diamonds go through testing and certifications, come with papers, and must pass the 4 C’s. You will know exactly what you are getting when you buy a diamond. You will know the cut, the clarity, the carat size, and the color.
- They are a fantastic stone. They sparkle, they reflect light, they go with any outfit, they never go out of style, and they last a lifetime. In fact, they even come in cool colors if you don’t want a white diamond, why not go with a yellow, pink, or blue? And all the fabulous shapes they come in! Round, pear, cushion, emerald…just to name a few. Oh, did I mention they are beautiful, and only made even more beautiful by the metal that you surround it with? Sigh. Fantastic stones.
- They are valuable and hold their value. Relative to other physical objects their size, diamonds are expensive. I can’t think of too many other things found on this planet small enough to wear on a finger that can empty a wallet like a diamond can. Granted: diamonds are valuable.
- They represent love. This is an interesting one, because you shouldn’t base how much someone loves you on the size of the diamond they buy you, but historically, diamonds are given as a token of love. But, if you look at the romantic nature of a diamond, such as how it came to be and the history of the diamond, then giving your girl something she will treasure forever is a way to say, ‘I love you.’
- They represent status. Whether they are big or small, diamonds have been a status symbol all through time. They were worn by princesses and royalty back in the day, and the more you had, the higher you were in the hierarchy. Today, that might not be the case, but when you slip on your diamond stud earrings, or have a little sparkle, you feel like a million bucks and instantly feel as if you are powerful, successful, and have a timeless elegance.
- They hold memories. That sounds corny, but it’s true. Have your mother look at her engagement ring from your father and she can tell you the exact moment she got it and what it still means to her today. Many people hand down diamonds from generation to generation, passing along those memories with them. Even if the diamond you receive is a first timer, it will hold memories over the years.
- They are one of a kind. Each diamond is unique and has its own DNA, or footprint. You can take two diamonds that have the exact same 4 C’s, but that doesn’t mean that they are the same. The inclusions might be a bit different; the girdle and the measurements will be just a bit different, and your diamond will always be one of a kind and unique, just like you.
- Diamonds are a girl’s best friend. Do you still need to be convinced? Who doesn’t want to feel special, loved, and have a little bit of sparkle in their lives?
If you are looking for that perfect diamond for yourself or to give to someone special, make an appointment and come see our inventory. I’m sure we have exactly what you are looking for.